Take Your Life to the Next Level
One of the most frequent questions I get as a personal life coach is “Why can’t I take my life to the next level of greatness?” My clients will explain that they believe in themselves and their abilities but they seem stuck in a holding pattern and they are not sure what is really holding them back. Does this sound familiar to you? Do you want to achieve something in your life but you don’t know why you aren’t doing the things you need to do to make it happen. Do you really want something in your life but you haven’t found the formula to get to your goal? In my experience, my client needs to take what I call “massive action” to make that goal happen.
But to do that....it requires that my client look at her limiting beliefs. If this sounds like you than I guarantee that there are limiting beliefs that are holding you back from taking your life to the next level. And once you break the “limiting beliefs” barriers you can take massive action and make your life happen.
Limiting beliefs typically stem from your childhood or life experiences. If you think about the negative things you may say to yourself when faced with a goal it may look something like the following:
• I don’t have enough time to set up regular meetings.
• I don’t have enough energy to accomplish that goal.
• I don’t have enough contacts to make that happen.
• I don’t have enough willpower to lose the 30 pounds.
• I don’t have enough self discipline to work out regularly.
• I don’t have enough expertise to become a manager.
• I am not pretty enough--smart enough---rich enough--connected enough....you
get the impact of this scarcity model.
When this occurs I will typically challenge my client to look at her limiting beliefs and honestly write out what she might be saying to herself unconsciously. When a client gets in touch with her negative self talk, it can help us to identify what she needs to work through the negativity.
So think about what goals you are wanting in your life that you continue to struggle with and ask yourself what limiting beliefs may be holding you back. Find a quiet spot and ask the question and wait to hear what thoughts come into your mind. Write the limiting beliefs down and then get with your boss, a colleague, a best friend, or a coach and brainstorm what you might say to yourself to retrain your brain to think to fuel positive thoughts as opposed to negative beliefs. Frequently I ask my clients to write statements that are the opposite of those limiting beliefs. Those statements might look like:
• I know I can call 3 people per day and request time to discuss my agenda.
• I can go to bed 30 minutes earlierwhich can create more energy in my work
• I can ask my friends and colleagues for some references to create more contacts.
• I will work on losing 2 lbs per week to get to that 30 lb goal.
• I will walk around the block every morning once the kids have left for school to get that exercise in.