Family Spectrum's Creative Corner: Groovy Lava Lamps
Oil and water don’t mix. And with this unique craft, that’s a good thing! This exciting homemade lava lamp looks just like its store-bought cousins, except you can make it using materials found around the house—and the rest is science!
- • clear plastic bottle, cleaned and label removed
- • vegetable oil
- • water
- • food coloring
- • pie pan
- • antacid tablets (like Alka-Seltzer)
Instructions (for a 500ML bottle)
- • Fill the bottle just over halfway with the oil, then fill with water up to an inch from the top.
- • Add 20 drops of food coloring.
- • Place the bottle on the pie pan to catch potential spills.
- • Cut or break an antacid tablet in quarters and drop one quarter into the bottle. When the bubbling slows, add another quarter-tablet to get it started again (don’t add too many tablets at once, or the bubbles will cloud the oil).
- • Let the bottle sit until all the bubbles have completely dispersed (this prevents gas buildup). Cap it and put it in a safe place to prevent spills.
If you use a smaller or larger bottle, you’ll need to adjust how much food coloring and antacid tablets you use.
Source: Disney’s Family Fun. For this craft and other ideas, visit Disney’s Family Fun website www.familyfun.go.com.