Eating for Success
Getting into shape is a combination of both nutrition and fitness. Many people wanting to lose weight or enhance fitness forget about the importance of a quality diet. For most people, great nutrition takes some behavior change. Eating bedtime snacks, running through the drive-thru, drinking soda, drinking too much socially, or even grazing at work can cause weight gain. Eating right takes work!
- • Don’t focus on calorie intake.
- • Limit (not eliminate) carbohydrate intake.
- • Meals should be centered around healthy proteins, non-starchy vegetables, and healthy fats.
-Healthy proteins: meats, eggs, whey protein
- -Non-starchy vegetables: dark-green leafy veggies, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans,
- asparagus, zucchini, squash, etc.
- -Healthy fats: olive oil, coconut oil, butter, nuts, seeds, avocado
- • Drink ½ your body weight in ounces of water.
- • Ensure adequate digestion: you should have >1 normal bowel movement/day. To help:
- -Eat plenty of high-fiber, non-starch vegetables at almost every meal.
- -Supplement: Calcium/Magnesium, probiotics, glutamine
Limit these Foods:
- • Sweeteners: NutraSweet, Splenda, and Sweet ‘N Low
- • Unsafe additives: potassium bromate, propyl gallate, sodium nitrate/nitrite
- • Fruit that is sweetened and dried, canned, and juice (high concentration of sugar)
- • Alcohol: Less than 1 serving/day; red wine is recommended over beer or hard alcohol
- • Caffeine: Less than 1-2 cups per day; caffeine creates false energy and increases stress in our bodies. When crash occurs, we typically look for sugar to bring us back up.
Healthy Eating Take Home:
- • Set Yourself Up for Success: Prepare snacks and meals the day before. Leave your wallet in the car if the vending machine at work is a temptation. Start slow and own the changes that you make to your diet. Set a weekly time to grocery shop. Always grocery shop with a list.
- • Moderation: Don’t super-size. Split an entrée with a friend. No food is off-limits; just use smaller plates at home!
- • Accountability: Find a friend to encourage you. Ask your partner for some help. Get rid of all the junk food in your house!
- • Avoid Fads: If there was a miraculous drug, supplement, or diet that could enhance health and decrease weight, wouldn’t everyone on Earth use it? Duh! The only cure is self-control, hard work, and preparation.
For more information regarding nutrition, contact Andrea McDaniel at Nebraska Elite Sports & Fitness Complex.